Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This lovely style of cooking rice goes well with spicy raita, pappad and a dry spicy vegetable.
- 1 cup long grain basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons grated coconut
- 2 sliced purple onions
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon garam masala, owder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into two halves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms, powdered
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
For the paste
- 2 green chilies
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 piece ginger
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts
- Roast peanuts for 5 minutes.
- Remove the skin of the roasted peanuts.
- Soak rice for an hour.
- Drain off excess water and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, fry cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and onion on high flame with ghee and oil.
- Add rice, coconut, cabbage, green peas, garam masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder, the ground paste and 2 cups of water& salt.
- Mix well.
- Cook on medium flame for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts and serve.
Good healthy and wholesome taste to this dish - very filling!
The time for prep take a while, especially the coconut grating and making the paste. However, after all that, it is really easy. Just put everything in and wait for the finished product. I really enjoyed the taste as well. I suggest what the author suggests, goes really good with raita.