Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The potato chips are what make this casserole. It's worth the extra calories. I found this recipe in an old church cookbook that belonged to my husbands step-mother.
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- crushed potato chips
- grated cheese
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- Cut up cabbage and steam about 5 minutes in lightly boiling salted water. One or two garlic cloves can be added to the water if desired. Drain cabbage well.
- Put layer of crushed potato chips over bottom of 9x13-inch pan.
- Put cabbage on top of potato chips. If you haven't put garlic cloves in cooking water you might sprinkle cabbage with garlic salt or powder.
- Blend milk, mayonnaise, and soup with wire whisk. Pour over the cabbage. Sprinkle grated cheese over top. Then cover with more crushed potato chips. Pour melted margarine over all.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
Oh, my! This is awesome! I followed your reccomendation and used the garlic powder over the cooked cabbage. For the cheese I used a blend of cheddar and swiss. The crunchy, salty potato chips were so good with the creamy cheesy cabbage. I did cut the butter down to 1/4 cup to cut some fat and it worked out fine. Thanx for posting!
This was pretty good. I might try it again using more chips and cheese. It sounded interesting, but I might need more salt in the water.