Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Okay you may have tried Cabbage Patch Stew in the past but in this recipe the black-eyed peas combine with the cabbage to make a hearty and delicious meal. The dish is made lighter by using lean turkey and delicious chicken stock.
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel)
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1⁄4 cup tomato ketchup
- 3 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- green onion (for garnish)
- sliced radish (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add in the chopped onion and cook until wilted. Crumble in the ground turkey and cook until it is no longer pink. Add in the garlic, celery, bell pepper and carrots. Continue to saute until vegetables are wilted.
- Add in the drained black-eyed peas, tomatoes and green chili, 3 cups chicken stock, ketchup, cabbage, chili powder and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low heat for 45 to 60 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through. Last 15 to 20 minutes check and if needed add in additional stock.
- Serve in bowls with corn bread. Garnish with green onions and sliced radishes.