Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Simple side dish to ham or pork. Posted for ZWT3.
- 1 small cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- fresh breadcrumb
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut cabbage into shreds.
- Place cabbage in sauce pan and add boiling water and salt.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes, drain.
- In another pan heat butter, stir in flour with whisk.
- Blend well, add milk stirring rapidly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, add cayenne pepper to taste.
- Combine cabbage and sauce. Spoon into a buttered casserole.
- Mix bread crumbs with butter.
- Top cabbage with butter-bread crumbs.
- Bake about 20 minutes and until topping is browned.
If you are a cabbage-lover then try this recipe! I used half and half cream in place of milk and also added in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, used seasoned salt and black pepper as well as cayenne pepper, great recipe caroline, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
What a terrific way the serve cabbage!! I did find the cheese was a little bit thick, next (and there will be a next time!!) I will add a little more milk. On the whole a marvellous recipe!! Thanks for posting!!
Loved it ! A very tasty recipe that went well with the mashed potato and Swedish meatballs this evening. My Cheddar cheese is imported from the UK and I have no idea if it's sharp or not.. but its tasty and gives a good flavour to the cabbage, as does the cayenne. I didn't top mine with breadcrumbs because I only made this a little last moment and was ready to dish up the rest of the meal once the sauce was made. Please see my rating system, a wonderful 4 stars for a great way to jazz up cabbage. Thanks!