Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Simple side dish to ham or pork. Posted for ZWT3.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you are a cabbage-lover then try this recipe! I used half and half cream in place of milk and also added in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, used seasoned salt and black pepper as well as cayenne pepper, great recipe caroline, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
- 1 small cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- fresh breadcrumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut cabbage into shreds.
- Place cabbage in sauce pan and add boiling water and salt.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes, drain.
- In another pan heat butter, stir in flour with whisk.
- Blend well, add milk stirring rapidly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, add cayenne pepper to taste.
- Combine cabbage and sauce. Spoon into a buttered casserole.
- Mix bread crumbs with butter.
- Top cabbage with butter-bread crumbs.
- Bake about 20 minutes and until topping is browned.