Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe isn't low fat-that's why it's so good. The flavors really develop if made a couple of hours before serving. To complete the meal just add a salad and toasted unbuttered rye bread slices. For a really hearty dinner, serve with baked smoked kielbasa.
- 16 ounces shredded cabbage (any coleslaw mix)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 slice bacon, diced
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- sour cream or yogurt
- Melt butter in deep pan.
- Add the bag of shredded cabbage.
- Cook down until cabbage is nicely browned, at least an hour.
- Stir occasionally at first, then frequently as the cabbage starts to brown.
- Mix-in salt (to taste) and pepper.
- Push the cabbage over to one side of the pan.
- Add the bacon to the cleared area and fry until very crispy, or fry in a separate pan.
- When bacon is done, combine all contents of pan together.
- Gently mix-in the cooked egg noodles and dried spice, and warm on low heat.
- Taste to adjust seasonings.
- If desired, garnish with sour cream or yogurt and a sprinkle of thyme.
This is really good. I did it a little different cause I wanted to use the bacon grease to fry the cabbage so it would get more of that yummy bacony flavor. I fried the bacon up first and then added the cabbage to the fried bacon and continued from there. My bacon wasn't crispy because of the way I did it but I like it that way. I skipped the salt but added some nice fresh, minced garlic. I think this dish is great as a main course or a sidedish. It tastes even better the next day. I'm going to try your suggestion of using sour cream as a condiment with this. I'd never thought of doing that before. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.
Very nice! Simple and satisfying summer meal. Thank you!
Pretty good. I just made a meal out of this!:) I used 1 head of cabbage a little more butter, 16 oz bag of egg noodles, and a whole pack of bacon. It was very good. I didn't cook the cabbage until all of turned brown, but i did get it a little brown throughout. I think that next time I will brown more of it... Thanks for posting!