Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This goes well with sausage or pork but it also works well if adding leftover heated pork sausage to the dish making a complete meal. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (September 1981)
- 4 1⁄2 lbs cabbage, cored and shredded (about 1 large head of cabbage, this is also pretty if using red and green together)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons oil (olive works well)
- 3⁄4 lb egg noodles, cooked according to package directions and drained
- salt and pepper
- Arrange cabbage in colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand 10 minutes and then squeeze dry.
- Melt butter and oil in large skillet over low heat.
- Add half of the cabbage to skillet and cook, stirring until crisp tender and then add remaining cabbage and continue cooking and stirring until tender (15 minutes), adding more butter/oil if necessary.
- Stir in noodles and heat through.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
This is the way I prepare and love cabbage noodles but never heard of sprinkling the cabbage with salt and letting it stand. I'll try it next time I make them.
Very easy and delicious. My son loved it and asked for 2nds!!
We love cabbage, the added noodles are a plus.Made it just like the recipe said, cutting the recipe in halve, we ate the whole thing. Served it with Chicken sausages & a green salad. I have a Fried Noodles and Cabbage that I make. we also love it. Thank you Ellie, for posting this yummy recipe.