Recipe by realbirdlady
Crisp veggies and chilled lentils give a colorful, crunchy, and nutritious summer salad.
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the lentils in water. Their texture should be soft but not mushy. Drain and chill at least one hour.
- While the lentils are cooking, combine the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Shred the cabbage with a knife. It's OK to use the green outer leaves, but avoid the tough stems.
- Slice the carrot into longish, very thin, strips. Use the carrot peeler if you don't have the patience for the knife work, but try not to bail completely and use the grater.
- Cut the pepper into small strips or diamonds.
- The vegetables can be combined and refrigerated, covered, ahead of time, or tossed at the table. Add the lentils last, and dress each serving (to avoid a soggy puddle at the bottom of the bowl).
- Of course, all the ingredients are to taste. Feel free to use your favorite vinaigrette, or to use yellow, red and green peppers, or to add purple cabbge. Fresh herbs are great, but remove the woody stems, and chop the leaves finely.