Recipe by Sherrybeth
Us Southerners tend to throw everything in a pot for ease and just for something new to try! This one combines almost EVERYTHING you need for a terrific New Year's Day meal. It has your pork and your cabbage, so stir up a pot of this and a pot of black-eyed peas and you've got your New Year's Day meal covered!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 3⁄4 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large stock pot over medium high heat cook beef, sausage, celery, onion, and garlic until beef is no longer pink.
- Add cabbage, water, stewed tomatoes, and rice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until rice is done.