Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you like cabbage, you are going to love this! It's meaty, it's got flavor, but it's not too spicy. Feel free to add more heat if you like. Just put a tiny amount of cayenne in, but be sure to taste before you add any more. You can always add more, but you can't take it away.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 medium cabbage, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 14 1⁄2 fluid ounces water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- garlic salt
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, combine ground beef, smoked sausage, celery, onion, and garlic until beef is evenly brown.
- Stir in cabbage,tomatoes, water and rice.
- Season with garlic salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 35 to 40 minutes, or until rice is done.
This was great! My hubby loved this, I also took some to a friend of mine friend of mine and she wants the recipe. Thank you for a different way to use cabbage.
This was a big hit at our house. I made a few changes, I didn't use hamburger. I cooked the sausage in the pan then took it out to drain. I put the grease in the dog's bowl then sauted the onion, celery and garlic in some olive oil. I added the cabbage and sauted for a couple more minutes. I added tomato juice then rice and a little water and salt and pepper. I simmered it until the rice was done. I loved that it picked up all the brown good stuff from sauteing the sausage including that flavor in the final dish. We will be making this again as it is a cheap one pot meal.