Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a lovely side dish to a fish dinner, but goes with just about anything! This can be made with either green or red cabbage.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 8 cups cabbage, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 5 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Heat olive oil in a heavy 10 to 12 inch skillet.
- Add onions and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- When they are transparent but not brown, stir in the cabbage, tomatoes, vinegar, salt and a few grindings of pepper.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes,or until cabbage is tender.
- Stir in the sugar and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Serve in a heated bowl.