Recipe by nome179er
This is my mother in laws receipe for cambodian egg rolls. She is originally from Cambodia, and these are by far the best egg rolls I have ever eaten. These have no cabbage in them, and the noodles you will find in the asian aisle at your local supermarket. No trip to an asian market required :-) 1 pound of meat needs 1 package of egg roll wrappers. Make sure to let your egg roll wrappers thaw an hour before starting, as per the directions
Top Review by Velouria
These egg rolls are very tasty! The recipe doesn't specify the package size of the vermicelli mung bean noodles, and it ended up looking like there were too many noodles in my mixture. I had a hard time incorporating all the noodles into the meat, and I ended up with a lot more filling after using the 50 egg roll wrappers, so I suspect my package of noodles may have been too much. However, I could be wrong and maybe that's how the mixture is supposed to be. They did taste great! I froze the rest to fry up at a later date. Thanks for the recipe!
- vermicelli mung bean noodles (These are made out of green mung bean, and are dry white noodles you will find in the asian aisle at)
- 5 cups warm water
- 2 -3 lbs ground pork
- 1 lb shrimp
- 4 medium carrots
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- egg roll wrap (enough for approx 50 egg rolls)
- 3 cups vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Take egg roll wrappers out of the freezer and let thaw for an hour before starting.
- Fill a medium size bowl with luke warm water, place the package of Vermicelli Mung Bean noodles in it to soften.
- In another medium size bowl add 2-3 pounds of ground pork, 1 pound of ground shrimp, 4 finely shredded medium size carrots, 1/2 onion chopped, 1 tablespoon of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 heaping Tablespoon of sugar.
- Seperate the 3 eggs, yolks into a small bowl, and the whites to the meat mixture.
- Drain water out of mung bean noodles (they should be pliable) and add to the meat mixture.
- Mix ingredients throughly. (This is best done by hand like meatloaf.).
- Beat the eggs yolks you placed into a small bowl until mixed.
- Seperate your egg roll wrapper, and place 2-3 tablespoons of filling onto wrapper, follow rolling instructions on package for proper shape.
- To seal egg roll at the last fold dip your finger or pastry brush into egg yolk and smear a little on the last fold. Then finish rolling egg roll.
- Continue to make all egg rolls before frying.
- Heat a small pot with approx 3 cups of oil. Heat on high until just about smoking, then turn down to medium heat.
- Place a few egg rolls in the oil and cook about 8 minutes and then flip over and cook another 8 minutes. They should be a darker golden brown in color.
- Remove from oil and let oil drain on a paper towel.