1/2 Photos of Cabbage Free Cambodian Egg Rolls
1 hr 1 min
This is my mother in laws receipe for cambodian egg rolls. She is originally from Cambodia, and these are by far the best egg rolls I have ever eaten. These have no cabbage in them, and the noodles you will find in the asian aisle at your local supermarket. No trip to an asian market required :-) 1 pound of meat needs 1 package of egg roll wrappers. Make sure to let your egg roll wrappers thaw an hour before starting, as per the directions
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vermicelli mung bean noodles (These are made out of green mung bean, and are dry white noodles you will find in the asian aisle at)
- 5 cups warm water
- 2 -3 lbs ground pork
- 1 lb shrimp
- 4 medium carrots
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- egg roll wrap (enough for approx 50 egg rolls)
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1Take egg roll wrappers out of the freezer and let thaw for an hour before starting.
- 2Fill a medium size bowl with luke warm water, place the package of Vermicelli Mung Bean noodles in it to soften.
- 3In another medium size bowl add 2-3 pounds of ground pork, 1 pound of ground shrimp, 4 finely shredded medium size carrots, 1/2 onion chopped, 1 tablespoon of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 heaping Tablespoon of sugar.
- 4Seperate the 3 eggs, yolks into a small bowl, and the whites to the meat mixture.
- 5Drain water out of mung bean noodles (they should be pliable) and add to the meat mixture.
- 6Mix ingredients throughly. (This is best done by hand like meatloaf.).
- 7Beat the eggs yolks you placed into a small bowl until mixed.
- 8Seperate your egg roll wrapper, and place 2-3 tablespoons of filling onto wrapper, follow rolling instructions on package for proper shape.
- 9To seal egg roll at the last fold dip your finger or pastry brush into egg yolk and smear a little on the last fold. Then finish rolling egg roll.
- 10Continue to make all egg rolls before frying.
- 11Heat a small pot with approx 3 cups of oil. Heat on high until just about smoking, then turn down to medium heat.
- 12Place a few egg rolls in the oil and cook about 8 minutes and then flip over and cook another 8 minutes. They should be a darker golden brown in color.
- 13Remove from oil and let oil drain on a paper towel.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage Free Cambodian Egg Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (3677 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.3
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 59.2 mg
- Sodium 110.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 8.7 g