Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is so much nicer than plain steamed or boiled cabbage. Try it on the cabbage haters in your family and see if it converts them.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1 normal-sized head)
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced (I use 4)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat; add cabbage, garlic and brown sugar to pan.
- Sauté until the cabbage is limp, about 5 minutes or so.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in vinegar.
- Cook, stirring very often, for approximately 20 minutes; taste and if cabbage is too crunchy for you, continue to cook for a few more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
This is the recipe that I use, to get my husband to eat cooked cabbage, but if you add sliced ONIONS to the fry pan the dish takes on a whole new flavor--- like carmalized onions! It is delicious -believe me!
My family is very fussy but I put this on the table and didn't tell them what it was...no one asked either. They all liked it very much but I would add much more basalmic vinegar next time. I think it needs more flavor. Instead of chopping my own cabbage I used cole slaw mix from the store. I will make this again soon!
This is delicious! I used garlic powder as I had run out of garlic, the sweet and sour flavour in this dish is really nice. Thanks for posting Lennie. =)