This is so much nicer than plain steamed or boiled cabbage. Try it on the cabbage haters in your family and see if it converts them.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat; add cabbage, garlic and brown sugar to pan.
- Sauté until the cabbage is limp, about 5 minutes or so.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in vinegar.
- Cook, stirring very often, for approximately 20 minutes; taste and if cabbage is too crunchy for you, continue to cook for a few more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
This is the recipe that I use, to get my husband to eat cooked cabbage, but if you add sliced ONIONS to the fry pan the dish takes on a whole new flavor--- like carmalized onions! It is delicious -believe me!
My family is very fussy but I put this on the table and didn't tell them what it was...no one asked either. They all liked it very much but I would add much more basalmic vinegar next time. I think it needs more flavor. Instead of chopping my own cabbage I used cole slaw mix from the store. I will make this again soon!
This is delicious! I used garlic powder as I had run out of garlic, the sweet and sour flavour in this dish is really nice. Thanks for posting Lennie. =)