Recipe by twissis
I'm really into crockpot cooking these days & am trying to expand my crockpot horizons. I haven't made this yet, but this is from "Extra Special Crockery Pot Recipes" & sounds like such a spectacular idea that I couldn't wait to share. Don't be intimidated by what may appear to be complex directions. My feeling is this is a lot easier than it sounds at 1st glance. NOTE: The ingredients & prep of this recipe have been amended to enhance the flavor & texture of the meat filling.
Top Review by puppitypup
LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! THIS IS PURE COMFORT FOOD! Served for company last night and it did me proud. Turns out I was all out of whole cloves so I used whole allspice instead and I added a small can of tomato sauce. Edited to say that OF THE 350 RECIPES I REVIEWED IN 2008, THIS HAS GONE INTO MY TOP 20 FAVORITES COOKBOOK.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned stuffing mix (Pepperidge Farm, crushed well)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons onions (grated)
- 1 large cabbage
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Put ground beef, flour, dressing mix, salt, pepper & egg in a large bowl & combine well.
- Gradually add milk, 1 tbsp at a time, till mixture appears smooth & well-compacted.
- Stir onion in, mix well & set aside.
- Trim off outside leaves of cabbage. Cut off a slice about an inch thick from core end & set aside.
- Cut core from cabbage with a sharp knife & then hollow out cabbage to make a shell about 1/2 in thick. (Chop cut out pieces coarsley & save for use another day).
- Spoon meat mixture into shell. Fit cut slice back into place & tie tightly with soft kitchen string.
- Place stuffed cabbage (core end down) in crockpot & add boiling water + 1 teaspoon whole cloves to the bottom of the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 8 hrs, on high for 4 hrs or till cabbage is tender. Remove cabbage & keep warm. Remove & discard whole cloves.
- GRAVY: Set heat control on high. Combine 3 tbsp flour & 1/3 cup cold water in a cup. Pour into liquid in slow cooker. Cover & cook 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper & darken with a few drops of bottled gravy coloring as desired.
- TO SERVE: Place stuffed cabbage on a heated serving platter, remove string, cut cabbage carefully into 6 wedges & spoon gravy over the wedges. Serve immediately.