Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Hearty, low-carb cabbage soup with corned beef that will absolutely warm up any cold day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion (medium diced)
- 1⁄2 head cabbage (cut into egg noodle sized pieces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves diced garlic (diced)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef (just cut or dice into small pieces)
- 1 (32 ounce) box beef stock
- salt and pepper
- In a heavy, stock sized (4-6 qt) pot (enamled cast iron works well) over medium head, heat olive oil, then add onions. Sautee onions until almost tender (3-5 minutes).
- Add cabbage, sautee with onions, stirring frequently, 10 minutes until onions and cabbage are tender.
- Add garlic, basil, oregano, sautee 1 minute longer.
- Add corned beef, tomato paste, and beef stock.
- Stir until tomato paste is dissolved, heat over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste.
We really liked it. With a couple of additions: Added about 1 table spoon of minced garlic, 1 table spoon of poultry seasoning. We also used left over corned beef and cabbage from dinner the previous night.
Sorry this soup was not good. Did not have much taste other the taste of the tom. Paste. A waste of money and time. Will not make this again. No one in the family wanted it. The picture of this soup does not show the real color, red. Had to throw it out. T.
This was very good and filling. I used fresh cooked corned beef rather than canned. I sampled a taste after simmering and it was very good, but just needed something more. I added some ground caraway seeds (I was out of whole) ad simmered some more and that did the trick for me! I know this is meant to be low-carb, but since I'm a carb freak, I'd love to add some diced potatoes next time. Thanx for a yummy soup!