1 hr 25 mins
Remove the excess moisture from the veggies and cheese before assembling to help hold this dish together. From Vegetarian Times magazine, March 2010.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 large savoy cabbage leaves
- cooking spray
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 small leeks, halved, white and light green parts cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces (1 cup)
- 1/4-1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 slices lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces low fat cottage cheese, drained (or ricotta cheese)
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1Blanch cabbage leaves in a large pot of boiling salted water 7 minutes, or until softened. Drain, pat dry, and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350*F.Coat 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add leeks and broth. Season with salt, if you like. Place lemon slices on top and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook 25 minutes. Drain in colander, remove lemon, pat leeks dry and set aside.
- 4Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook 10 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- 5Place 3-4 cabbage leaves on bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup of tomato sauce over leaves, top with 1/3 of leeks, dot with 1/3 ricotta(or cottage cheese), then sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Repeat layering 2 more times, seasoning with salt and pepper between layers, if desired, and top with fourth layer of cabbage and sauce. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until it begins to brown on top. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabbage Casserole With Leeks and Pine Nuts
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.1
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 178.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: