Recipe by Sharon123
Remove the excess moisture from the veggies and cheese before assembling to help hold this dish together. From Vegetarian Times magazine, March 2010.
Top Review by mersaydees
Healthy and tasty! Interesting dish! Exactly the kind of dish I like to try and learn from with win-win results. It does come out liquidy, so draining the canned tomatoes might help, or not and leaving out the vegetable broth? Not exactly sure why the broth is needed?! I will definitely try again without it! Thanks, Sharon! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap.
- 12 large savoy cabbage leaves
- cooking spray
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 small leeks, halved, white and light green parts cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces (1 cup)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 slices lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces low fat cottage cheese, drained (or ricotta cheese)
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch cabbage leaves in a large pot of boiling salted water 7 minutes, or until softened. Drain, pat dry, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.Coat 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add leeks and broth. Season with salt, if you like. Place lemon slices on top and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook 25 minutes. Drain in colander, remove lemon, pat leeks dry and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook 10 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Place 3-4 cabbage leaves on bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup of tomato sauce over leaves, top with 1/3 of leeks, dot with 1/3 ricotta(or cottage cheese), then sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Repeat layering 2 more times, seasoning with salt and pepper between layers, if desired, and top with fourth layer of cabbage and sauce. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until it begins to brown on top. Enjoy!