Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of my mom's favorites when I was growing up. I think she got tickled to see us all eat cooked cabbage! Since we protested so much about the smell.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery (optional)
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes, break up slightly with juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn, whole kernel with juice
- 3 cups cabbage, sliced thin like for slaw
- 2 -3 slices bacon (optional)
- salsa or louisiana hot sauce
- Cook meat with seasonings, onion, bell pepper and celery until meat is tender.
- Add dry rice, whole tomatoes, corn and cabbage.
- Stir to mix.
- Bake in lightly greased casserole dish Place 2-3 strips of bacon on top.
- Bake one hour at 300 degrees; top with salsa or Louisiana Hot Sauce.
This is lacking in flavor. The hot sauce and bacon helps some. It is a simple meal to prepare though.