Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of our favorite ways to eat cabbage. I usually use Mild sauasage and Rotel tomatoes. It is up to you how spicy 'ya like it!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean sausage (mild or hot)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 -3 lbs cabbage, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup raw rice
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Brown ground meat and sausage.
- (I usually don't drain).
- Add bell pepper and celery.
- Add cabbage, tomatoes, rice and water.
- Cook until cabbage wilts.
- Mix together cheese, milk, butter and flour; add to cabbage mixture.
- Bake in a casserole dish (approx. 9x13) for 30-45 minutes at 400 degrees, uncovered.
- (THIS CAN BE FROZEN BEFORE BAKING).
This makes a very good one-dish meal that with the rice, hamburger and cabbage combination, reminds me of cabbage rolls, only easier to make! I made as directed, only draining the cooked meat. The casserole was ready in only 45 minutes, uncovered at 400 degrees. I figured an hour and a half at 400 must be a typo, so I kept checking back for the time. I would think 350 or 375 would be more like it. My husband loves cabbage, so I know I'll be making this recipe again!! Thanks for sharing, Stephanie!
I really like this recipe. I added chopped onion and browned with my meat mixture. It made quite a bit, so we are having it for dinner tonight too. My kind of casserole a 2 for 1! Thanks Stephanie
Great recipe, but the 1 1/2 hour cooking time needs to be corrected. Ineperienced cooks would have a burnt meal on hand if they followed the directions [Editor's note: recipe was updated as a result of these comments 3/18/03]