Recipe by Miss Annie
A recipe from Amish country from Lovis Stoltzfus in Kinzers, PA . A good and satisfying side dish.
Top Review by Lorac
This should be named "Cabbage Haters Casserole" ! A scrumptious dish of cooked cabbage baked in a creamy mushroom cheese sauce topped with buttered bread crumbs. I cooked the cabbage until almost tender so that it was still bright green and sweet. The mushroom soup, onion and cheese added a savory flavor and the breadcrumbs a bit of crunchy texture. This was the perfect side dish for Miss Annie's - Mader's Hungarian Goulash (#29899).
- 1 head cabbage, shredded (about 12 cups)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 6 ounces American cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- salt (optional)
- pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook cabbage in salted water until tender; drain thoroughly.
- In a large skillet, sauté onion in 4 Tbsp.
- of butter until tender.
- Add soup and cheese, heat and stir until melted.
- Stir in cabbage (salt& pepper if desired).
- Transfer to an un-greased 2-quart baking dish.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining 1 Tbsp.
- butter; stir in breadcrumbs.
- Brown lightly.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350ºF.
- for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.