Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A close friend used to make stuffed cabbage for our families and we all loved it. She always said she was going to show me how she did it but she passed away before we ever found the time. I remembered how it tasted but lacked the patience to actually stuff cabbage so I came up with an easier version.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 3 cups cheese, grated
- Chop cabbage and place in bottom of large buttered casserole dish, put aside.
- Saute onion, pepper, celery & garlic in a little olive oil for a couple of minutes or so add ground beef and continue to cook until beef is browned. Remove from heat and pour off all oil. Fold in tomatoes, cooked rice and 1/2 can tomato sauce.
- Spoon 1/2 rice mixture over cabbage. Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese on top. Layer remaining 1/2 of rice mixture. Pour remaining tomato sauce over mixture and top with remaining grated cheese. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes to one hour.
I followed the directions as given. Unfortunately, there's no cooking time or temp given, so I cooked it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. The cabbage was hard. Maybe it needed to be covered with foil.
This recipe was delicious! I made it in the crock pot by preparing the meat mixture as written and then stirring in the chopped cabbage. I cooked it on low for about 6-7 hours adding about 8 ounces of additional tomato sauce and 1 tsp of garlic powder throughout cooking. I omitted the cheese completely but think it would be a nice addition. I will make this again, thanks for sharing the recipe.