Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
From "Putting Food By" 1975, a great book that tells ways of preserving food.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups frozen shredded cabbage, thawed
- Brown meat and onion.
- Place in dutch oven.
- Put cabbage over meat, pour tomatoes on top.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours at 350°F
- Top with cheese for last 15 minutes of cooking.
This is a great alternative to making cabbage rolls. I made the rolls once and it took so long i never wanted to make them again, But this is quick easy and relativly inexpensive. I usually make 2 at a time and freeze one! Next time I might put a layer of rice on the bottom of the casserole dish and then place the topping on top of it so the rice will absorb the liquid and i can save the step of making rice! Thanks for the recipe this is now a staple in my house!