Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is based on a recipe I found in my Telephone Pioneers of America cookbook. I like a little bit of spice in my food so I used condensed tomato soup with basil and oregano. Added carrots and a little green pepper.
- 3 cups cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 10 ounces condensed tomato soup
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Brown ground beef with onions, carrots, and green pepper.
- Place a layer of cabbage in the bottom of a two-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle rice over top; cover with meat mixture. Top with layer of cabbage.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and heat to boiling. Pour this over the ingredients in the casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for at least an hour or until done.
- NOTE: I would suggest covering it for the first half hour as it was getting very dark around the edges and the bits of cabbage sticking up were quite black. (Didn't taste burnt, just not very attractive.).