Recipe by Manda
An interesting (kind of odd) combination of flavors and textures. I absolutely love this casserole. It is a great one-dish meal, and very stick-to-your ribs comfort food. I serve with a fresh, green salad.
- 8 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced onions
- 6 slices rye bread, cubed
- 1 lb pork sausage link, cooked,drained,and sliced
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed (plus additional for topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Parboil cabbage and onions for 7 minutes and drain.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, combine margarine, flour, milk, and seasonings.
- Cook until margarine melts, stirring constantly.
- Add Velveeta cheese, and continue cooking until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- In 2 quart casserole dish, layer half of cabbage and onions, then bread, then sausage.
- Repeat layers of cabbage and bread.
- Top with sauce, and then top with remaining sausage.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Top with additional cheese and bake until cheese melts.