Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Feel free to make innovative variations by adding green beans, whole tomatoes or mushrooms. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious heart healthy recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 8 cups shredded raw cabbage
- 1 (8 ounce) can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water (may need more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, brown beef and onion- Drain off any fat.
- Place half the cabbage in a non-stick sprayed 3- or 4- quart casserole.
- Top with beef and onion mixture and then the rest of the cabbage.
- Mix together tomato sauce, water, basil, oregano and pepper.
- Pour over cabbage.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 75 minutes- Check durnig last half hour of baking and add more water if needed.
Made two of these to use up a huge cabbage and to have in the freezer for a lazy cook day. Nice flavour with a walla walla onion, the basil and oregano, I added some garlic too. I used Italian stewed tomatos, worked very nicely. It seemed liquid enough so I didn't add the water at the begining but did add about 1/4 cup about half way through cooking, worked out perfectly. It will be nice to have these in the freezer to pop into the oven for a quick and tasty dinner, thanks for posting. Did sneak a taste, lovely !! I will make again.