Recipe by Gwanny Hill
Cooked cabbage was not so well-received by some of my family until I discovered this recipe--family enjoys it now with no complaints!
Top Review by Fauve
This recipe is truly a delightful taste surprise! Even hard-core cabbage haters will end up asking for seconds. I followed this recipe exactly as written except for the breadcrumbs. I didn't have quite enough of the breadcrumbs, so I added crushed Ritz crackers to fill in. This recipe is most definitely a "Keeper". Thanks, Gwanny, for sharing this!
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped fresh onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and divided in half
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs (I prefer Panko bread Crumbs)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover cabbage and chopped onion with cold water and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pour half of melted butter into a large (2 Qt) casserole dish.
- Mix soup, sour cream and mayonnaise in saucepan, bringing to a boil before setting aside.
- Put half of bread crumbs in bottom of prepared dish, add well-drained cabbage and onion, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Pour soup mixture over cheese and top with remainder of bread crumbs and melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly around edge.