Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This tastes great on a cold day and is very filling with just a bun or crusty bread. I received this at an auction in a bunch of hand written recipes.
- 9 cups water
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 large cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, more if you like it sweet
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (I use dried)
- salt and pepper
- Put all ingredients in water, in large pot.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Let sit overnight in refrigerator,this improves the flavor.
- Remove bay leaf and then reheat.
- This freezes well.
Very different soup for our family but we really liked it!
Pumpernickel went wonderfully with this simple, delicious borscht. Thanks for sharing!
Served this with a loaf of good pumpernickel bread and plenty of butter, plus a dollop of sour cream for each bowl; the DH (who thought this was going to be a "so-so" supper) *loved* it (me too)! The recipe is a cinch. I'm wondering if this is a Slovak version of borscht -- the caraway seeds would suggest it. It's a lovely touch, whatever it is.