Recipe by Baby Kato
This is my favourite soup. It's my friend Judy's mothers recipe. I have changed it slightly to accommodate my family's taste. This is very easy to make and keeps well.
Top Review by Gail N.
being of Ukrainian/polish heritage..there is Borscht (beet)..and Cabbage Borscht..also Root vegetable.Borscht.. I only make beet Borscht..but will defintely try this..my dad said my Gramma (ukrainian side) always made with cabbage..my gramma (maternal) polish always made beet borscht..huggzz
- 2 -3 lbs blade steaks (cooked and shredded, You may use blade or crossrib roast or steak)
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato juice
- 1 large cabbage, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 4 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place roast or steak in a big pot.
- Cover meat completely with water.
- Cover with lid and let come to a boil.
- After water is boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cook until meat is tender and shreds easily.
- Remove meat from pot and shred with fork.
- Leave water in pot and add 2 large cans of tomato juice, cabbage, onion, carrots, potatoes and shredded meat.
- Season with salt and pepper, add lemon juice and sugar to taste.
- Cook on low heat 1- 1 1/2 hours-- until all vegetables are cooked-- you may re season with more lemon, sugar or salt and pepper as needed to taste-- Serve with lots of rye bread-- enjoy.