Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
From Bon Appétit, November 1991. It goes really well with Corned Beef Bunwiches - Corned Beef Bunwiches. Prep time can be reduced by using canned sliced beets.
- 2 medium beets, trimmed
- 4 cups thinly-sliced cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- shredded fresh basil (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wrap beets in foil. Bake until tender when pierced with knife, about 1 1/2 hours. Cool. Peel beets. Cut into 2- by 1/4- by 1/4-inch strips. Place in medium bowl.
- Place cabbage in large bowl. Combine cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, grated orange peel and honey in small bowl. Gradually beat in oil. Add caraway seeds. Pour enough dressing over beets to coat. Pour remaining dressing over cabbage and mix. Season both salads with salt and pepper.
- Arrange cabbage around edge of platter. Mound beets in center. Garnish with basil and serve.