Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another good cabbage dish. You people probably think I have German in my blood(and you are right).
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 medium onion (chopped fine)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 5 cups shredded cabbage (finely shred)
- In a LARGE pot over medium-high heat, brown hamburger, onions and garlic, stirring and breaking meat up till hamburger is brown and onion is tender.
- Drain off fat and discard.
- Return pan to medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce, applesauce, brown sugar, vinegar, thyme and pepper to meat mixture in pan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in cabbage; reduce heat to simmer and simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir occasionally, until cabbage is tender.
- If sauce is too thin, cook for a few minutes longer to reduce sauce.