Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I make this using my own runza bread dough (to be posted soon on this site) but using frozen thawed bread dough makes it much quicker and easier, make certain to thaw the frozen dough according to the directions on the package --- the recipe amounts stated will make 18 buns as that is what I always make, you could reduce the recipe if so desired but I would suggest to make the full amout they will be devoured quickly! the ground beef/cabbage filling may be made a day in advance, my family likes spicy so I add in cayenne pepper or dried chili flakes to the ground beef mixture, also you could add in some crumbled bacon pieces too, cooking time is for the buns only ---
- 3 (1 lb) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 5 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 large head green cabbage, chopped into pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped (or use 1 large onion)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2-1 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste) or 2 teaspoons white salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Divide each loaf of the frozen bread dough into 6 even pieces (you will have 18 pieces).
- Roll each piece into balls; cover with a clean tea towel and set aside.
- Crumble the ground beef in a large pot over medium heat; cook stirring until no longer pink; drain all fat.
- Add in water or beef broth, cabbage, onion and garlic.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook stirring occasionally until the cabbage is soft.
- Drain all liquid very well (important the you must drain very well!).
- Mix in the 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (add 1/2 cup to start, adding in more later to taste if needed) seasoned salt, startind with 1 teaspoon seasoned salt and add in more to taste and lots black pepper; stir to combine well; set aside.
- On a lightly-floured board roll each piece of dough into 5-inch squares (does not have to measure exactly).
- Place about 3/4 cup of the cabbage mixture into the center of each square.
- Fold the dough over and pinch to seal.
- Place onto a greased baking sheet seam-side down.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and brush each with melted butter.
- Serve hot or warm.