Recipe by Darlene Summers
This is a good and hardy meal. I have big pieces of crusty butter bread with mine.
Top Review by Shelbyville Cook
Picture this, the temperature is dropping rapidly (30 degree drop during the day) and the wind is howling. Your central heat unit goes out and it is 60 degrees in the house. Along comes this recipe. I added about 1 tsp. of ground chipolte pepper powder. The repairman came and we all ate this wonderful warming soup!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef or 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 6 carrots, sliced round
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (29 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (I use 1/2 that)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beef or ground meat till done; drain fat off and set aside.
- In a large stewing pot (6 quart or larger) put the water, cabbage and carrots.
- Cook about 20 minutes.
- Then add beef, onions and potatoes.
- Cook till almost done.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook till done, about 15 more minutes.