Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Quick, easy, and inexpensive.
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef, can use lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese, can use mozzarella, cheddar, etc
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease/spray a deep 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Place shredded cabbage in bottom of baking dish; set aside.
- Brown and crumble ground beef (or turkey) with the onion and red bell pepper; drain and return to the skillet.
- To the drained beef mixture, add the diced tomatoes (undrained), salt, pepper, sugar and caraway seeds. Stir together well and spread this mixture over the cabbage in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together the tomato sauce and sour cream, blending well. Spread this mixture over the beef mixture in the baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Uncover, evenly sprinkle with the 1 cup of shredded swiss cheese and bake (uncovered) for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Really "low carb" friendly. I use Mexican style tomatoes and put extra (without juice) before the cheese.
This was easy to make, but received mixed reviews at my house. I liked the tender cabbage & meat layer, but wasn't crazy over the sour cream layer. Other diners though liked it as is. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT6~Germany.
This is really delicious! I used ground turkey, scallion instead of onion, no sugar or caraway seed, Italian style tomato sauce and ff sour cream. I also forgot to put the cheese on the top, but it didn't need it in my opinion. Served to DH and friends and everyone gave it two thumbs up!