Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a quick easy side dish for any meal, goes well with mashed/German potatoes and a main meat dish eg: steak, rissoles, chicken. My family love this.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage (1/2 is plenty finely shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for frying bacon (optional)
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, slices finely
- 1 tablespoon butter
- cracked black pepper
- parsley, chopped (to garnish)
- In small frypan cook the bacon with or without oil till crisp.
- Set aside to drain.
- Use a deep frypan on heat and add the shredded cabbage and onion.
- Add the water and keep on a medium heat.
- Crumble the stock cube over and mix well.
- Turn the cabbage over as it steams and cooks.
- When the water has almost evaporated (you may need to add more, if the cabbage isn't cooked through) add the butter and pepper and reduce the heat to low.
- Finely chop the bacon and stir through.
- Garnish with parsley and black pepper.
Yum. I am used to making cabbage more or less this way using just butter, but the bacon takes it to entirely new heights. I did use half-a-cup of chicken broth, rather than water and a stock cube. Delicious.