Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Thought cabbage was a bit boring, TRUE! Even if people don't like cabbage, they'll like this too! LOVE combination, healthy too! HOPE you'll try ...let me know what you think, TRUE!
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons butter substitute or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups apples
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- Chop cabbage in pieces.
- Add to boiling water and cook for about 4 minutes; DRAIN.
- Spray casserole dish with Canola Oil spray or equivilent.
- Mix peeled apple slices and cinnamon together.
- Layer cabbage, apples, sugar and breadcrumbs in that order; continue until finish layers.
- Make sure last layer breadcrumbs are on top.
- Melt butter and pour over top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 180 degrees (350) for about 50 minutes.
This is a wonderful comfort food dish, I used 3 apples and 2 teaspoons cinnamon, make certain to cool and squeeze out the excess moisture in the cabbage, we loved this, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
This is terrific! We loved it! It freezes well also which is a bonus! Thanks for posting!
I agree even people that don't like cabbage will love this recipe. I cut the recipe back to two servings, shredded the cabbage did not precook it. I had one 1 1/2" layer of cabbage and two small apples followed the recipe baked covered for 35 minutes. I will make this again thanks for posting mickeydownunder