Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Makes a great side dish.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 3 tart apples, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, cabbage, apples, salt and pepper and sautee for about10 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Add milk and cheese and combine well. You maybe tempted to add more milk, BUT, there will be more moisture after it has baked.
- Pour into at least a 2 quart casserole dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake additional 10-15 minutes.
This was quite good. I had 1/2 of a large head, so I used 2 gala apples and a red onion. I usd 2 T margarine and 2 T olive oil for the butter. I added 2 strips of cooked, crumbled bacon on top before baking. I would probably add some garlic next time. Thanks, Parsley!