Recipe by Sharon123
Yummy! and low-cal! Cabbage used extensively in Germany and Eastern Europe, but popular all over Europe.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
This was such a great side dish to our meal tonight. I was looking for a different way to use cabbage, and found this recipe. I didn't have high hope as to the the outcome as it was cooking, but it turned out delicious. I halved the recipe, used canned mini diced tomatoes and halved the flour called for. The caraway seeds really made the dish. Thanks for posting the recipe.
- 4 cups coarsely cut cabbage
- 4 tomatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Put cabbage and tomatoes in saucepan, and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and caraway seed, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cream butter with flour, and stir into vegetable mixture.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Makes 4 servings.