Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another great vegetarian soup. Hint: Using vegetable soup instead of water will give this soup a richer flavor.
- 7 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb tofu, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can cut green beans
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- In a soup kettle, combine water, oregano, peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover lightly, and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain and discard vegetable matter, and return liquid to the pot.
- Add the tofu, tomatoes, beans, carrots, onions, and wine.
- Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and continue to cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the pepper flakes and cabbage, and continue to cook for about 20 minutes longer, or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
This is really good---healthy yet hearty. I used vegetable broth instead of water. My husband and I both enjoyed it, and it was good leftover as well.