Recipe by jkgeraci
This is a delicious cold weather food. The whole family enjoys this... even the kids. That alone is an accomplishment! Serve with a salad and Italian bread and you've got a very filling meal.
- savoy cabbage or green cabbage, 1 head
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheese (pecorino-romano)
- cooked white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Core cabbage and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Cover with water in a large pot and boil, covered for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute remaining ingredients, except rice and cheese, in oil until tender.
- Add cooked cabbage to sauce and thin out to soup consistency with the cabbage water.
- Add cheese just before serving.
- Spoon soup and some rice into each bowl.