Recipe by ThatJodiGirl
This is a great casserole.
Top Review by GrandmaPam
This recipe makes a huge amount, and, took 2 1/2 hours to bake in the oven not an hour. A friend made the recipe at the same time and found the same to be true. We both added garlic and pepper, two small cans of diced tomatoes. I used beef broth instead of water, she used water. Next time I am using tomato juice for the liquid along with the canned tomatoes. My husband liked the recipe and I will make it again.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 head cabbage
- 6 carrots
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the butter in a roast pan.
- Put the 2 cups uncooked rice in the butter.
- Slice the cabbage and carrots.
- Brown the ground beef or turkey with the onion.
- Mix together meat, cabbage, carrots and salt.
- Place this mixture on top of rice.
- Do not stir.
- Mix the tomato soup and water together and pour over the rice mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.