Recipe by PaulaG
I found a similar recipe on the web and wanted to reduce the fat content without losing the flavor. This was the end result. The bacon and bacon fat are minimal but a must for the proper flavor.
- 1 slice bacon, diced
- 2 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and diced in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, crushed
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy skillet, fry bacon until crisp, do not drain.
- Add potatoes and onion, cook until lightly browned.
- Stir in cabbage, vinegar and hot water.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until cabbage is wilted and potatoes are fork tender; stirring frequently.
- The water should cook out, if needed raise heat and continue to cook until the cabbage and potatoes are lightly browned.
- Sprinkle the caraway seeds over all and adjust salt and pepper to taste.