Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Traditional Portuguese soup, very good!! (The wine and food of Europe - Marc & Kim Millon)
Make and share this Cabbage and Potato Soup (Caldo Verde) recipe from Food.com.
- 5 medium potatoes
- 6 1⁄4 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb cabbage or 1⁄4 lb kale, kale is traditional,finely shredded
- freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and cut up potatoes, and boil in salted water, with garlic.
- When soft, mash and add olive oil and cabbage or kale.
- Boil uncovered for about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve in bowls with a drop of olive oil in the bottom of each.
I am Portuguese and this is truly delicious. Very "light" and tremendously good for you! I use the Kale when I make Caldo Verde! Thanks for posting this!
Very, very interesting, and pretty darn good! I wondered if the oil was necessary, but I added it anyway for it to be as authentic as possible... well I DID have to use cabbage, because no wayyy I'd find kale in markets here! :-) I peppered this nicely and had a lovely, light, winter dinner with toasted bread and fruit. Thanks Dorothy!
This was a delicious soup. I loved the way the garlic flavoured the potatoes. I had red cabbage to use up and am glad I came upon this recipe. We ended up adding salt to each bowl, I would probably add 1 or 2 tsp of salt to it next time. Thanks for the simple but yummy recipe!