I got this recipe from a friend who found it in the Canadian Living magazine. It is my "special soup" that I serve on special occasions and to guests . Everyone loves it.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium potatoes, pared and diced (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped leek
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half, divided
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce
- In a large saucepan, heat broth over medium heat.
- Add cabbage and potatoes.
- Cover and simmer about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat melt butter.
- Add leeks and cook until tender.
- Stir in flour (into leek mixture) and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup half and half to the broth mixture.
- Add leek mixture to broth mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir in remaining 2 cups half and half.
- Cook over low heat 10-15 minutes.