Recipe by Carb Lover
This recipe came about because I had leftover cabbage from our St.Patrick's Day dinner. Its a fairly common recipe but this is a little sweet & spicy, everyone who tastes this asks me for the recipe and it is sooo easy.
Top Review by jdkaminski
I used to think my mom made the best cabbage and onion saute - but this beats it!! I love all the different spices. My husband - who doesn't care for vegetables loves it to. This has become a regular around our house.
- 4 cups savoy cabbage, - shredded (this equals about 1/2 a large cabbage)
- 1 medium onion, - diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (I use Hot Today Chili Tomorrow)
- 6 tablespoons butter, - no substitutes
Directions See How It's Made
- Core and shred your cabbage, I do a rough chop, and put aside in a bowl. Then dice your onion, making the pieces medium size.
- Take a 10"skillet and place about 2-3 tablespoons butter, melt the butter and saute the onions until they just start to turn brown around the edges. Add the cabbage and gently fold with the onions, add the remaining butter (just put it in on top of the cabbage,it will melt). Place lid on skillet and simmer at medium heat for 5 minutes. Then uncover, stir the mix and add all your spices. Stir again and place the cover back on and simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
- We like a little body to ours, if you like your cabbage soft just simmer a little longer.
- This is easy, quick and yummy. You can add caraway seeds or other spices to alter to your own tastes.