Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I have had this recipe at many church functions and cookouts. This particular recipe is from my "Farm Journals Country Cookbook", originally published in 1958. This is from the 1972 edition. If using green cabbage, use white onions and if using white cabbage, use red onions. Cooking time is the chill time. It is very good. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup salad oil
- Alternate layering cabbage and onions in a bowl, with onions for the top layer.
- Combine sugar, vinegar, salt, celery seeds, mustard and pepper in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add salad oil.
- Drip hot mixture over the cabbage and onions, do not stir.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
A great do ahead recipe that makes for a very appealing salad,one which tastes as as good as it looks. The combination of seasonings make for a wonderfully flavorful salad that I will be making often come time for those warm weather gatherings. Thank you Bobtail for sharing this excellent recipe.
Delicious! We fried fish last night and I wanted to make something different than the usual slaw. This was perfect.