Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I made this up. It seemed to work. It's hearty and satisfying. I was looking for kielbasa and cabbage recipes, but didn't find anything I quite liked. I used a homebrew beer that was very dark and hoppy and the end product suffered from some bitterness as a result.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb kielbasa, sliced into coins
- 1 head cabbage, medium
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef stock
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, ground
- In a large cast iron pot fry the kielbasa coins in the butter until browned.
- Add the onion garlic and peppers, then the salt, pepper, thyme and fennel seed. Cook until the onions and peppers are soft.
- Add the cabbage and potatoes. Add the beer and beef stock, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cabbage and potatoes should be tender, but not mushy and the liquid mixture should thicken a bit. Adjust seasoning, if necessary.