Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband didn't think he liked cabbage until I served this. The bacon and onion really give this recipe a lot of flavor.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb kielbasa or 1 lb Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon (reserving drippings in skillet); crumble, and set aside.
- Add next 7 ingredients to bacon drippings. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, turning cabbage once.
- Add sausage and cover and cook an additional 5 minutes or until sausage is heated.
- Transfer to a serving dish with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon.
Excellent cabbage dish! I omitted the bacon & used apple juice in place of the water. The result was slightly sweet, savory, a wee bit of spicy, and excellent cabbage. TThank you for sharing this recipe! =)
This is a wonderful meal. I only par cookedthe bacon and added it back in when I added the sausage. I then fried the whole thing until it was carmalized. We served this with garlic mashed potatoes and rolls. (I like to eat the dish on top of the mash potatoes) We will definately make this again, like another reviewer, we thought the balance of flavors was perfect. Thank you so much for sharing ths with us.
I can't believe that I haven't rated this one before now. It has become one of our go to quick meals. I add a splash or two of balsamic vinegar and serve it over mashed potatoes. Even my husband who doesn't really like cabbage likes this. It is a great stick to your ribs, quick meal.