Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Hearty, thick soup that tastes very much like stuffed cabbage rolls. This is sooo easy, and my family loves it. Sure to please even the heartiest of appetites!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, liquid reserved
- 1 can water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- chopped fresh parsley (, to garnish)
- In large pot or dutch oven, brown beef and onion.
- Add all ingredients except parsley.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- You may add extra water if you like a thinner soup.
- Garnish with parsley to serve.
I must agree with the other reviewers, this is a nice base recipe. I didn't add an extra can of water, used only 2 buillion cubes, a whole onion, and dumped the whole can of tomatoes in. Half way through the simmering time I found it to be a little bland. I added some oregano, basil and 1T of ketchup then at the end zipped it up with a smidge of vinegar. Thanks for this simple recipe.
Absolutely delicious - I also used low sodium beef broth and Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed (because I don't like diced) Tomatoes (my new favorite for all things tomato). Other than that everything else the same. I'm making it tonight with some leftover T-bone steaks (chopped very small) & the bones to flavor the stockfrom last nights grilling menu. Great recipe!
Good base- added lots of Worcestershire sauce for extra taste and northern beans.