Recipe by JustJanS
Something I've been making for years. If you don't like carraway seeds, use something else-lemon thyme would be good.
Top Review by linguinelisa
Sorry, I really didn't care for this dish. We don't usually use vinegar in cabbage and it really stood out in the dish, unpleasantly so. I left out the caraway seeds and used creole seasoning but I don't believe that made much of a difference. We also prefer our cabbage in chunks rather than shredded. Made for Aussie Recipe Swap April 2013.
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 small cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 2 tablespoons water (approximately)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and add the onion and bacon and cook until the onion is softened-about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, sugar, vinegar, carraway seeds, stock powder and stir over a medium high heat for a couple of minutes or until the cabbage is coated with oil and starting to wilt.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water, cover and cook over a low heat (watch it doesn't burn) for a further 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Stir through the chopped parsley and serve.