Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Real Simple magazine.
Make and share this Cabbage and Apple Slaw recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large fuji apple, unpeeled, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the green and red cabbages; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, sourcream, vinegar, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Add the apple(the apple should look almost like matchsticks).
- Pour over the cabbage and toss gently until coated. Cover and chill 1 hour or longer. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
This was a refreshing change from my usual cole slaws, and I would definitely make it again. I really liked the apple with the cabbage! I followed it pretty much as written, although I used less dressing and since I had a tart apple, I did add a small amount of sugar to the dressing. Also, I didn't have parsley, so I added a bit of cilantro, and loved the combination! But, I already know that parsley pairs really nicely with apples, so I would like to try parsley the next time. YUM!
Yummy! The apple adds just the right amount of sweetness to balance the tang from the dressing. Will definitely make again.
This was a fabulous recipe... Like many others, I used what I had in the house, and finesse'd it a bit to compensate. I used a head of green cabbage, chopped, and a granny smith apple, julienne cut. I added celery salt and a few tablespoons of sugar to the dressing. I also gave it a little 'zing' to go with the tart granny smith by using a bit extra cider vinegar. It was amazing... I served it with ribs I had marinated in spices and apple juice, and homemade baked beans. OMG! Yummmers.