Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Quick week night meal. A wonderful blend of flavors--South of the border with Texas (taco) and best of Midwest(corn belt). Everyone loves this. Favorite Movie Friday Night fare. Originally from an old Pillsbury Bake-off book, with my updates.
- 2 (15 ounce) canshormel tamales
- 2 (12 ounce) canskernel corn mixed with chopped peppers, drained by half
- 14 1⁄2 ounces pizza sauce
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) packageof dry cheese sauce mix or 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup ripe olives, chopped
- For Filling:.
- Cut each tamale into 6 pieces.
- Place half in bottom of 13 x 9-inch pan; spread with 1 can of corn.
- Top with remaining tamales and remaining can of corn.
- Mix pizza sauce with taco seasoning and add green chilies; blend and then pour over corn.
- Set aside.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients; stir until a well-combined.
- Spread topping over casserole.
- Sprinkle with more cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until bubbly and topping is done (topping will crack slightly).